Designed by Gio Ponti and produced for Altamira, an American company founded by the newphew of the Spaniard De Cuevas, was displayed in the company's showroom in New York City. The presentation catalogue reads: "It was thought that achitecture should be purely functional, with very little margin for decoration. But the Italian genius could not help but create architecture with a more human face, which we call the Latin touch".
Giovanni “Gio” Ponti, (Milan, November 18, 1891 - Milan, September 16, 1979), is one of the Italian masters of architecture. He was also a designer and essayist and one of the most important of the twentieth century.
Other than the great architectural works which carry his unmistakable signature, he created a vast amount of work in the furniture sector. This is demonstrated in his three Milanese houses which were fully furnished in the "Ponti" style. The houses in via Randaccio, 1925, Casa Laporte in via Brin, 1926 and the last in via Dezza, in 1957 is an "expression" of his home design ideas.
"[...] The majority of the objects in our lives are created and characterised by industry [...]"